Saturday, April 01, 2006

What's in a uniform?

The first time, she tried it on, I cried. It wasn’t the best-fitting uniform, but it will be her high-school uniform.

I remembered how it was in movies when a character would get a flashback, bits and pieces of remembered moments culminating in the present. That is what I had. I was suddenly reminded of how she used to like fancy multi-tierred pencil boxes, Bensia multi-colored pencils, sweet-smelling erasers in various shapes and sizes, colorfully-covered locked diaries with heart-shaped keys, Disney princesses’ backpacks, her sweet precious hand-written notes for her Dad and I with artwork that commemorated every special moment in our lives….. My Pia has grown since then.

Last Saturday, March 25, my daughter graduated from grade school. And as an eloquent symbol of the educational leap, she and her batchmates wore their school’s high school uniform.

I don’t think I will ever look at my uniform-clad daughter in quite the same way again. For me, it wasn't just a change in uniform.

:background paper from a crop by iron orchid designs at SBB; additional papers and frame from the Boho funk page pak at cottagearts.net

1 Comments:

Blogger NJbabe said...

Please don't remind me of how time flies...meaning we are just getting better not you know what...I wish I could been there to see those precious moments...Nevertheless capturing a glimpse of Pia smiling in her new uniform is already priceless.... Thanks for sharing those wonderful thoughts.....

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home