Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A Meeting of Old Friends

Yesterday, I accompanied my Mom to attend a reunion with some of her high school classmates. A few of them drove all the way from Albay, and stayed at the same hotel in Makati to spend more time together. My Mom was not able to attend their 50th high school reunion in 2003, so she really looked forward to seeing her former classmates and put faces to the ladies she has been in touch with only by telephone.

Since I grew up in a household of mostly Bicolanos, I can fairly understand their dialect although my Tagalog roots would show the moment I attempt to speak Bicolano. I was pleasantly surprised therefore when I could actually eavesdrop…make that “hear” and understand what my Mom and her classmates talked about. Like any other reunion, they recounted shared memories, hugged, laughed, and in a span of 5 hours, tried their best to catch up on each others’ lives.

Perhaps what struck me most was that, unlike my own 25th high school reunion which was also held this year, they spoke of body aches, illnesses, fear of being alone, and loneliness… But more importantly, I also saw compassion, triumphs and invisible bonds that only common, and shared joyful memories can foster.

I am glad to have met the gracious ladies and gentlemen of the Albay High School Batch 53. And so when they planned their next reunion in April next year in Legazpi City, Albay, I too thought that maybe, just maybe, my family can also take our next vacation in my Mom’s hometown.
:paper (recolored) by Anna Aspnes from the Autumnal kit at scrapbook-elements.com; photo corners from the Fireside kit by Kim Christensen of scrapbook-bytes.com

1 Comments:

Blogger NJbabe said...

I am so glad you were able to spend time wih your mom and her long time school friends. Thank you for sharing this with us and for sure we are heading towards their direction....

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home