Thursday, August 04, 2005

Origins

:digital papers and lace ribbon by Doris Castle

My life in these islands began in an obscure apartment building in Sta. Cruz, Manila. I grew up in what may be literally called an urban jungle. While I lived in the residential part of the building, the offices were just a few paces away and I remember being unable to indulge in the usual childhood play outside our apartment until after 5 pm. As with anything forbidden, these offices were curious places for me, and just nagged on me to explore them. One of these offices was a photography studio.

If I had enjoyed taking and looking at photographs then as I do now, I would have hang out in that studio more often. I don't remember much about that small photo studio except that it was run by a guy named "Taba", well, because he was healthy in a big way. I do remember though that my mother brought me to that place to document my birthdays and other special ocassions. Did these early photo sessions awaken my creative spirit? Nobody will know for sure...but I am so glad my Mother took the time to have my photos taken. Thank you, Mom. I will always cherish them.

"There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in."
-- Graham Greene

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home